Monday, April 12

Sucky suckerson suckity suckness of the suckity suckiest degree

I am seriously hating my band right now.

I went home and faithfully measured out 1 cup of my lunch (a cooked mixture of ground beef, petite diced tomatoes, and rice). Three tiny bites in over the course of 10 min, and I knew it wasn't going anywhere except up. And up it came. Twice.

I think it's safe to say, I really am too tight. I'm going to try Jen's protein test, but I think it'll have to be tomorrow, as I should probably stick to liquids for the rest of the day (oh, and those two tiny Hershey chocolates I just had).

I am just so. hungry. all. the. time. I drink water like it's my job - never less than 100 oz per day - but it doesn't help at all. Probably when you aren't eating much, it can't do much to help.

So far today, I've had a venti caramel macchiato, 3 bites of lunch (two of which probably came back up), two Hershey miniatures, and am working on a cup of coffee with some half and half in it. Oh, and 48 oz of water so far. No wonder I am hungry. Sigh. Sigh. LOUD sigh.

I guess a protein shake is in my future. Blech.

If you are still reading my whine, since I can get liquids down, I should just wait it out, right? Today is day 7 since my fill. I am self-pay and my surgeon is 60 miles away, so I really want to wait it out. But then I am sooooooooo tired of being hungry. Sigh. Sigh. REALLY REALLY REALLY AMAZINGLY LOUD sigh.

Sorry to be whiney, but this is getting old really quickly. The only upside is the weight loss - 5 lbs in 6 days. At this rate, I could be at goal in about 6 months. Sweet!

14 comments:

  1. I think you need a slight unfill. You should be able to eat food by now. Your surgeon probably doesn't charge full price for an unfill. I think my fill doc charges $15 for an unfill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinking water like it's my job...funny!

    Stop torturing yourself...get a wee drop out...you'll be SO much happier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I've been banded for 4.5 years (Yikes!) - my opinion is that you are too tight. Here's what I was told, if you can't get water down you need to get to the ER immediately. If you can get water down great, but you also need to be able to eat. (And by eating - that means non-slider "hard" food.) If you can't, you are too tight. Being too tight can also lead to an increase risk of slippage and also stretching (dilation) of your pouch. Sorry if it seems like I am trying to scare you, I'm not - just trying to share the knowledge I have. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds just awful. I havent' even had a fill yet, but I think you are too tight in my novice opinion. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl you need to drink a protein shake, like now. I understand wanting to wait but you gotta get some nutrients. xo J

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, you guys freaked me out.

    I called the surgeon's office and talked to the PA. She said if I am getting liquids down and can keep myself from vomiting anymore, that I can wait it out if I want. She said stick with warm(er) liquids and introduce solids slowly. She also said if I came in, they'd probably take out more than I want, which is what I was afraid of.

    I told her as long as I wasn't damaging anything by being this tight, I wanted to wait it out. She said it was fine - just no more vomiting. Or PB'ing as we like to call it! So yogurt, pudding, soup, and the like for me for another few days, and then I'll try something more solid.

    I am still sighing. I am a big baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not a big baby, PBing stinks and not being able to keep things down isn't good. I woiuld eat foods that give you alot of bang for your buck...greek yogurt, protein shakes..stuff where you get protein and calories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope you loosen up a tiny bit & feel better soon {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a huge bummer! :( i hope you'll feel better after having something other than water/coffee ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. One thing that might help is to cut out the rice. I don't have problems with it myself, but I know that many people do and honestly I have heard ground meat is hard for some people. I know it seems crazy, but I am just figuring out that certain things that never bothered me before are starting to become "bad" foods.

    That being said I still think that you might be a little too tight. (However, it might be worth trying something else once your band settles down). IMHO as long as you are not suffering too much I would try to wait it out. You might get some awesome and as long as you are feeling ok then I don't know if it is worth the money and travel (as well as the risks of getting too much taken out) to have an unfill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there sweetie - and be careful...I'm gonna worry until I know you can eat some real food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are totally not a baby. I've heard rice is incredibly hard for bandsters to eat. So, maybe stay away from that. I do well with ground turkey, ground beef, just small bites with sauce. Do you make turkey chili? Maybe that with beans will help, just eat slowly. So sorry you have to go through this. I just made myself a yummy protein shake. 3/4 cup frozen fruit, 1 banana, 1 cup GNC vanilla soy protein powder (I hate protein powder and I swear I can't taste this), orange juice and two heaping tablespoons vanilla fat free yogurt. Sounds like a gross combo, but it's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Amy...what a tough spot to be in. Good thing you called your surgeon's office. I'd give it a few more days and see what happens. Try eating the high protein stuff like the Greek yogurt, beans and ground meat for now but I too agree that the rice might be a problem. If you're PBing and miserable though, go get a small unfill. You have to be able to take in your nutrients and function.

    Also, thank you for trying out my comment section for me. I just tried fixing it again. If you wouldn't mind trying it again, I switched it to a comment pop-up instead of having the comment embedded at the end. Let me know if it's working.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Amy, have just read your whole blog, i'm just banded (almost 3 weeks ago) and it really helps to read about others experiences. Hope that your restriction loosens a little. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete