Friday, July 9

Objects in rearview mirror

We all know the saying "Objects in rearview mirror may appear closer than they are."

This so applies to my weight loss. I was talking to a friend about hitting 90 lbs, and while I'm proud of my accomplishment, I also seem to be playing it down, and I couldn't figure out why.

And then it hit me!

I now look like and weigh about what my head and heart seemed to 'think' I was. Does that make sense? Like I logically knew that I weighed 374.4 lbs, but that's a big number to accept as your weight. It's like a defense mechanism. My head and heart just seemed to think I was around 275 lbs, as that sounds much better. Not good, mind you, but better.

It's the same with how I look. I'm solidly in 24/26 on the bottom and 20 on the top. Even though I had to buy much larger sizes than that for a long time, I still always thought of myself as being a size 24 or so. And when I look in the mirror now, I see the person I thought I saw at 374 lbs. I think I had some magical 'thinning' glasses on or something.

I think it's safe to say my mind refused to accept my actual size, how I looked, or how much I weighed.

Weight in the rearview mirror may be higher than actually accepted.

This is so true in my case.

I think the other thing that is going on in my pretty little head is that I finally KNOW I can lose all this weight. So, while 90 lbs is impressive, it's not my final goal, and I am totally going to rock my goal weight, which means there's no point in getting too excited about being here. I'm not going to stay here long, and it's just one little stop on my journey.

13 comments:

  1. yes! totally! It wasn't until I hit 100# down that I looked like what I thought I looked like. At 355 I was shocked when I saw photos of myself. Now photos look right to me. Yay Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!! 90lbs is amazing..it's funny what our "head" thinks we weigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes complete sense...and you're right - you are so going to do this all the way to goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean. When I looked in the mirror I did not see 320...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 90# is a drop in the bucket. You will rock it all the way to your goal! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes total sense. Also glad to know I'm not the only crazy one who has no idea what I look like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gotta call you out here a little Ames. You didn't exactly play down the 90 lbs on your blog. And while I am BY NO MEANS saying you should, because you're doing AMAZING and should celebrate every single pound, I think you play it down in real life for other reasons. I'm not speculating why but I do the same sometimes. So think about it and repost. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its just like getting on the scale for the first time in a long time. In your head and on screen you think you way a certain number and then BAM hits you like mad and the scale is way up! I sometimes don't believe it myself. Not 90 but definitely 30 something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it takes awhile for the mind to catch up with itself! You have done such a great job and are very inspirational! It means a lot to new bandsters like me!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always imagined myself a skinny girl until I look in the mirror and the image reflecting back is not the same as the image in my head - You are totally gonna rock your goal - keep on rockin' girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is such a pleasure to see a reflection or a photo or something and not be completely horrified, isn't it? Go Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT post! Just wait until you see a skinny woman in the mirror...talk about messing with your mind! Great job on the WL, and the 'thinking'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too, agree! I used to hate pictures that people took of me and posted/tagged on Facebook...if I wasn't at the right angle, they weren't pictures that actually represented what I thought I looked like - I wasn't THAT fat, right? But, after a business trip last week, the pictures are currently flying around on Facebook with tags to my name...are they flattering? Not always. But, I keep the tags on and reference them all as "before" pictures, even though I'm at nearly 65 pounds of loss now. I'm not ashamed of how I look anymore, because I know that the body I'm in is just a temporary stop until the next size!

    ReplyDelete