Friday, July 23

Mixed Emotions

The Happy, Good, and Fun to Read About:

  • I've been to the gym most days and am really enjoying it. It's so much different to go when I don't feel the pressure of getting home for X, Y, or Z reason. I can take my time and really get into it and not feel guilty about what I'm not doing while working out (cooking, cleaning, seeing the kids, etc.) This SAHM stuff rocks!

  • DH's last day at the store is tomorrow, as the warehouse is almost ready to go. What this means is no more 13 hour days (or at least not regularly) and he can set his own schedule for the most part. Oh, have I mentioned what he does? He is the warehouse/inventory manager for his company. While the warehouse was being finished, they had him working at their storefront, just to keep him busy. It was crappy retail hours.

  • I've found some more meals that go down easily for me: quesadillas (I make them at home with refried beans, sauteed onions, and cheese and then dip them in sour cream.); homemade chicken cordon bleu; steamed broccoli; tortellini salad. All of these work really well for me, and I like it! I still struggle in the AMs a bit (yogurt is even tough), but I do fine the rest of the day, as long as I am careful.

The Sad, Bad, and Not So Fun to Read About:

  • My weight loss has stalled at 97 freakin' lbs. I *know* it's because of the exercise, and I know it is better for me in the long run, and I knew this was going to happen. And I told myself it wouldn't bother me. But it does! Why did I start working out 3 lbs from 100 lbs lost? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

  • DD puked all over her carseat the other night. Have I ever told you how much I hate puke? I cannot deal. And with this band, my gag reflex has gotten to the point where if I gag, I ralph. It was a nightmare. To be honest, I can't get every little bit of it off (for those without kids, you cannot completely dissemble a carseat), and while it was over $300, I am seriously ready to pitch it. Even though it doesn't smell and you can't see it, I *know* it's there, and I can barely deal with it. It was the heat that did her in, so both of my kids are now forward-facing where they can get air blowing on them. I am a safety fanatic, so this bothers me to no end, but cleaning up puke bothers me more.

  • My grandfather (dad's dad) passed away this afternoon. I'm so thankful for the time we got to spend with him before we moved down here (the kids and I stayed at my parents' house for five days, and he lived with them). He was 92 and had fibrosis of the lungs. He went to sleep Wednesday night and was never really coherent after that. They'd had hospice in with him for about two weeks, so he went peacefully. No pain and no struggle. I'm sure he's with my grandma in heaven, having a great time reuniting. We'll miss him terribly, but he lived a long, full life and left a wonderful legacy. He lived at home with my grandma until he was almost 90. He wasn't even really frail until the last few months, so while I'm sad, I'm thankful for all he had and did and how long I got to have a wonderful grandpa. I mostly feel bad for my dad; he's an only child and now both of his parents are gone. Here's a pic we took of the four generations just last month:

15 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you lost your grandfather. Thinking of you.

    And the scale will move-keep drinking lots of water. I would take the car seat and use a powerwasher on it with some soap to see if it will clean it up. A few hours in the sun and it should dry out ok. Maybe a good job for the DH to keep him busy. I agree. I hate yakking, and yakking kids are the best. I used to hate it when my daughter (now 27) as a kid would sit up in bed, call that she felt sick and then just barf down the front of her nightgown. Geesh. You'd think she could have made it to the bathroom.

    Anyway, hope your dad is ok. Having family around (especially young kids) really helps, so glad you are near.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. No matter what age people are, it can still be tough to lose someone we love.

    Don't you hate that about ramping up exercise?! My scale always goes up if I start working out after taking a hiatus or bumping my routines up. But, like you said, we all know in the long run it will be going back down. You are going to all of a sudden have a huge weight loss week soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Condolences to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful picture of your family and your grandpa. My grandmother is 91 and I know what you mean about being sad but also knowing that person lived a very long, good life.

    May his memory be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I'm sorry to hear about gramps. You have such a great attitude, though. Still.....it's sad. Sorry, Chica.

    Agreed. Puke is the absolute worst!!

    Don't worry about the 3 pounds - you'll probably lose it all of a sudden in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss Amy. That is a great pic of you, your dad, grandpa and children. Cherish it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss but I am sure he is up there with your grandma and they are kickin' it and having a good time!

    The exercise thing SUCKS, I totally went through that..but it WILL get better, just keep on truckin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Condolences Amy. What a fantastic picture of the 4 generations though! I love stuff like that!

    wish I could have helped you. I am spectacular with puke. I will totally hold your hair while you puke!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ames.. so sorry to hear about your grandfather.. keep those memories dear and preciousl

    I hear you abou the workout and no to slow weight loss.. i am just starting that journey myself.

    Hang in there and stay cool

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry about your Grandfather. What a sweet picture that you'll cherish.

    About the carseat - can you take the cover off and wash it? That's what ours did and it worked pretty well. Car puke in the summer heat is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry Amy about your grandfather...I'm glad you have such great memories of him to get you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO sorry for your loss. It is good you have such happy memories with him.

    I agree on the pukey carseat.....ewwww. I would hose it down and let it dry in the sun. Ick. At least it isn't stinky!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your granddad, but that really is a lovely picture of you all. I'll keep you in my thoughts...

    Glad to hear you are enjoying the gym! It's ncie to have a little "time out"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My condolences to your family on the loss of your grandfather. Sounds like he was well loved.

    I'm glad you are settling in to your new home and life. I met someone that works for your former organization recently and was excitedly telling them that I have a friend that worked there! And they asked me how I know this friend...and I told them through a weight loss internet site...didn't know if you were open about the band or not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry about your Grandpa, Amy. That photo is wonderful, though.

    Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete