Easy, peasy and super, duper tasty. Two BIG, BIG thumbs up from me.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 medium onion - chopped
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 cups chopped mushrooms (I used mini portabellas, as that's what was on sale.)
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1. Saute onions in butter until translucent, add garlic and saute until garlic is a bit soft.
2. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are soft.
3. Add chicken stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until stock is reduced somewhat.
4. Add cream and bring to a slow boil.
5. Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl, and while whisking, add a ladle of hot soup mixture. Whisk that in and repeat this 2 or 3 times more. This will bring the egg yolks up to soup temperature, so it doesn't make scrambled eggs when you add them to the soup!
6. Allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes or so - the eggs will thicken it a bit.
7. Using an immersion blender, blend as much of the soup as you like.
8. Add pepper to taste.
I made the recipe as written, but next time, I will do probably twice as many mushrooms and blend the majority of the soup. It was a little on the thin side for me. I might also add an extra egg yolk.
As written, it's about 7 carbs per serving, and the recipe makes four servings.
I realize it's very calorie-heavy, but it would be easy to lighten up. Less butter (or sub a little olive oil), sub half-n-half or fat-free eval milk for the cream, etc.